Thursday 24 May 2012

I know it's been a long time since I've posted, but I've had a lot to think about over the last few weeks.  I have made the decision to have the transplant and am now waiting for the hospital to set a date.  It looks like it's going to be mid July, which means I'll be back in the hospital for most of the month of July.  My sister Chelsea will be undergoing some tests to make sure that everything is okay to go ahead with the transplant, then once we have the green light, I will be back in the hospital.  I will start with more chemo - very intense, to kill off all of my own bone marrow, then a few days later I will have the transplant, which is basically a glorified blood transfusion.  Then it's recovery time.  Most likely 2 weeks of recovery in the hospital before they can let me go home.  Then they say it's a minimum 6-12 months of recovery after until I'm back to normal (whatever that is).

This link goes over the procedure: http://www.cancercenter.com/stem-cell/stem-cell-allogeneic.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment